Looking for a healthy pizza recipe? I love pizza and have had fun trying many different homemade doughs. Dealing with gestational diabetes this pregnancy though, I needed something low-carb and delicious to help with that pizza craving. 😉 I just tried this recipe for CAULIFLOWER CRUST PIZZA and I loved it! It did take me a little bit of work to get the cauliflower shredded up and squeezed out, but it was worth it (and hey, I got an excellent hand workout in the midst of it haha). I got the recipe from: justjessieb.com/2014/04/cauliflower-pizza-crust-paleo.html. She really nailed the recipe! Did I mention how delicious it was??? I was skeptical before trying it, but my pizza craving forced me to give it a try. 😉 I changed the recipe a little (mostly because I had almond flour on hand, not cocoanut flour). And I wanted to throw in a few extra seasonings and cheese. So, here is my version of a cauliflower crust pizza that is to-die for! It makes one small pizza, so I like to double it and freeze one of the pizzas. To freeze, after topping the pizza, wrap pan in tinfoil and freeze. Thaw before baking!
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cauliflower (I shredded mine in my vitamix, a food processor would also work great!)
- 1 egg
- 2TBsp almond flour
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425ºF
- Cook shredded cauliflower in large bowl in microwave for 6 minutes (or for a healthier option: bake in oven on baking sheet till fully cooked).
- Once the cauliflower has cooled down – put it in a cheese cloth and squeeze, squeeze, SQUEEZE, until you get most of the liquid out. (Now is the time to get those hands toned 😉
- Put the cauliflower mash into a bowl and add the egg, almond flour, cheese, and spices. Stir well.
- Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet (or pizza pan) lined with parchment paper and spread into a thin crust. Pinch the corners up.
- Bake at 425ºF for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. (Mmmm can you smell it!? This is the point where I started getting excited hehe).
- Top the pizza with your desired toppings (sauce, cheese, veggies, fully cooked meat).
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Here is a picture I proudly snapchatted to my family 😉 and I realized I forgot to take any other pictures haha so this is the best I have for now. When I pull out my frozen one, I will add more pictures.
LET ME LNOW HOW YOUR PIZZA TURNED OUT! What were your favorite toppings?